Birth Story: Part Two -->The Induction

Through out this post I will bold all the events that happened "naturally" as my body prepared for forced labour. 
  • Thursday @ 7:26 p.m.
I was officially admitted onto the Labour + Delivery (L&D) floor for observations. My mood was apprehensive and a bit worried about the results of the next days ultrasound. D spent the night on a hard recliner chair.
  • Friday @ 8:45 a.m.
As I was using the bathroom this morning in preparation for my ultrasound my mucus plug passed. I didn't know for sure if it was indeed my plug so I said to the nurse, "Chantal I know this is gross, but is this my mucus plug?" I held it up for her to see on a piece of toilet paper. I know totally TMI, but I needed to be certain. This was my body's first step in preparing for my forced labour.
  •  @ 9:00 a.m.

Was wheel chaired to another floor of the hospital for my seventh ultrasound. At this point in the adventure I am worried and needed the constant reassurance of my husband to tell me that I didn't need to commit to anything I was uncomfortable doing. Results of the scan revealed my AFI was about 5.0 (they would not give us an exact number-- definitely a conspiracy we asked 3 different people and got the same answer, "Oh it was about 5."). Don't you hate when you ask a direct question and get a B.S., indirect answer? In addition to my AFI being about 5, the ultrasound tech and radiologist stated the measure of Baby Cruz's head was small. Okay let me breathe . . . even as I type this I am getting emotional, because this was the true climax of this whole "convience Onida to get induced drama". After hearing that my baby's head was measuring small, I immediately thought well why the hell do you want to take the baby two weeks before I'm due. My mood at the conclusion of the ultrasound was rattled and very afraid of my pregnancy ending in an "unnecesearean" due to a technocratic medical staff.

  •  @ 10:30 a.m. 

Upon arriving back to the L + D floor a doctor came to us and reiterated the results from the scan, placing great emphasis that they needed to induce ASAP because the consequences were so great that something could go wrong with our baby. Talk about pressure these doctors need to be giving PSAs for Global Warming, AIDS, and every other malady in the world to get people to take action. Anyway I asked the doctor a few questions about the process of induction and point blank told her why I was so opposed to the process (i.e., higher risk for a caesarean and me being only 38 weeks). I then asked for time to think it over and she left the room. I turned to D and said "I know they want me to deliver this baby by tomorrow for whatever reason, but if I decide to do this promise me you will continue to be my advocate when I am unable to demand my preferences." He promised and when the doctor returned I told her I made the decision to begin the medicine to induce. 

  •  @ 11:00 a.m.

 I was officially admitted as a L + D patient and we were moved to the room I would labour in. I was able to take a shower and I ordered lunch {Bland veggie soup, fried chicken, collard greens, french fries, banana nut cake, wheat bread, and a ginger ale}. D went out and got me a cheese burger and fries as well. I then sent him home to take a shower and change clothes.

  •  @ Noon

 I was placed back on the fetal monitor, blood pressure cuff, and contraction monitor. My blood was drawn (don't know why). And I am back on "bed rest".


  •  @ 1:54 p.m.

 A doctor came into my room and woke me. She said, "You are the talk of the floor. Everyone was convince you were going to leave." Funny I didn't know that was an option. She told me the process for inserting the Cervidil and went about pushing it into my vagina. {I've been stuck, probed, and poked more in those 24 hours then ever in my friggin' life} She said I would have to wait two hours before getting up to move and if I needed to urinate they would get me a bed pan. {Shaking my head} So step two of the process begun.

  •  @ 7:00 p.m. 

 I ordered dinner (I was not supposed to because my last mean was to be lunch) {Lunch- salad w/ French dressing, baked fish, rice, dinner roll, iced tea, apple}. Again I am being defiant, but I was hungry and I didn't know how long I would be in labour. I got a lovely visit from my midwife. She came to check in on me and see where I was mentally.

  •  @ 10:38 p.m.

 A doctor came in to check my progress (i.e., another vaginal exam). She stated my progress was still the same. This means I was 50% effaced, -2 station, and 2 cm dilated).

  •   Saturday @ 2:47 a.m.

 Checked again by doctor. I am now 3 cm dilated, 80% effaced, -2 station. The Cervidil was taken out because it effectively ripened my cervix. {Just learned that Cervidil is derived from pig semen- OMG!}

  •  @ 3:00 a.m.

Was allowed to take a shower. At this point I began to feel soreness in my lower abdomen. This was my second break from all the monitors. Pitocin was hooked up to my IV (step three). 


  •  @ 8:15 a.m.

Still 3cm dilated! Called Lynn, our Doula, and asked her to come to the hospital because I began to feel "funny" {meaning I was transitioning from early labour to active labour}.

  •  @ 10:53 a.m.

I experienced my first TRUE  labour contraction! Lynn, our doula, has taken over in preparing me to get through the Pitocin-induced contractions. Her wonderful "rice sock" sprinkled with essential oil on my lower back felt great! 

  •  @ 10:55 a.m.

Water Broke with a SUPER strong ass contraction! Lynn's counterpressure on my lower back and her instructions to breathe it out got me through. The phrase I remember through all the pain was, "Onida its done and you never have to go through that one again." :O)

  •  @ 11:00 a.m.

4 cm dilated!

  • @ 11:10 a.m.

Had a bowel movement in the middle of a serious contraction {I did make it to the toilet- I know TMI}. ;o|

  •  @ 11:19 a.m. 

With each contraction I am leaking amniotic fluid.

  •  @ 12:23 p.m.

Told Lynn I felt the need to push! She told me when I feel the urge to blow instead of pushing.


~~My recorder, said he was nervous so the running record stopped at this point.~~


  •  @ 12:53 p.m.

After five pushes (3 of which were on my side- refused to turn over on my back. I told the nurse this and she ignored me) Baby D emerged into the world crying! {tears} D videotaped the baby crowning , but put the camera in his pocket because he was overwhelmed. So you hear audio and him sniffing.

Her Apgar score was 9. Our bundle of joy weighted in at 6 pounds 2 ounces.

 Thanks D for being my support/coach/wonderful husband/recorder!!

Doula Lynn Christensen, I would not have been able to go through this labour pain medicine free without your encouragement and support. You are the absolute best! Thank you for everything- esp. for getting breast feeding off without a hitch! You ROCK!